At the moment’s Citi ThankYou® Premier Card doesn’t supply the identical attractive bonus as soon as out there. For a time frame, new customers had been handled to a sign-up bonus of 30,000, 40,000 and even 50,000 ThankYou factors. The sign-up bonuses might return sooner or later, however for now, the profit is not out there. With out the sign-up bonus, the query is whether or not this card is worth it to personal.
Citi has changed the sign-up bonus with a unique sort of reward. For the primary 24 months of proudly owning the cardboard, Citi is offering cardholders with two ThankYou factors for each greenback spent on all bills. So if you happen to constantly spend $2,000 every month on the cardboard, you’ll virtually obtain the identical as a 50,000 ThankYou level sign-up bonus, however it should take two years for it to repay.
After the primary 24 months, all purchases earn one level per greenback apart from purchases at supermarkets, drug shops, gasoline stations, commuter transportation and parking retailers. At these areas, if retailers are correctly categorized, cardholders will earn 1.2 factors per greenback.
When different playing cards supply extra attractive rewards applications, like 5 p.c money again in sure spending classes, there’s a query of whether or not a program like that is worthwhile.
The issuer does supply a number of different perks with the Citi ThankYou Premier Card.
- There are not any spending caps for incomes ThankYou factors — bonus or in any other case — so in some circumstances, you could be higher off with this card than with a card providing restricted 5 p.c money again or 5 factors per greenback.
- Your factors are price 33 p.c extra whenever you spend them utilizing Citi’s journey agent. The ThankYou Journey Heart permits 10,000 factors to transform to $133, and that may be a important enhance to your efficient money again fee.
- Once you purchase airfare with the Citi ThankYou Premier Card, Citi will enhance your ThankYou level stability based mostly on the variety of miles you fly.
- Within the first 12 months of your membership, Citi will present a free companion ticket for a flight inside the contiguous United States, which may very well be price as a lot as the cardboard’s annual payment, detailed under.
- For overseas purchases, there are not any further charges. Mix this with the above advantages for buying airfare, and this card is likely to be most best for worldwide vacationers.
Citi’s advantages include a unfavorable characteristic. This card carries an annual payment of $125, and if you need so as to add a licensed consumer to the account, the payment is $50 per consumer. These charges are waived for the primary 12 months, however all which means is that you will want to pay after twelve months of proudly owning the cardboard slightly than when first enrolling. There are some circumstances the place annual charges are worthwhile, however this can be a excessive payment compared to different playing cards providing comparable advantages.
Whereas Citi additionally offers a journey company for reserving flights and different transportation, I wouldn’t e book something with out evaluating their fares with different sources, like Kayak. This card could also be much less worthwhile and the bonus much less helpful general if it’s good to overpay in your flight with a view to obtain the advantages.
As of the time of writing, the usual APR for purchases on the Citi ThankYou Premier Card is 13.99%, 17.99% or 22.99% based mostly on creditworthiness. These charges appear excessive when in comparison with the lower than 1% the credit score that the Federal Reserve provides banks, so that you could be certain Citi isn’t dropping cash on this deal. Nobody ought to ever be pressured to pay rates of interest as excessive as 22.99%, so if you happen to select to use for membership, be sure you’re doing so with the understanding that the one away any rewards program is worth it is if you happen to pay your bank card stability in full and on time each month. One mistake — or one emergency — can destroy all the advantages you can presumably earn from this card.
If the Citi ThankYou Premier Card appears like one thing you’d prefer to personal for its advantages, given the doubtless excessive rate of interest and the annual payment due after twelve months, apply for the cardboard immediately and get a quick response from Citi.